Anything Left-Handed > Research > Survey on School Experiences

Survey on lefthanders’ school experiences

Over 1,000 Club Members have now completed the survey on left-handers’ school experiences and we want to thank you all for taking the time to share your stories. Our early analysis supports the evidence we were seeing in emails and from talking with members and customers that left-handers are still getting a far from equal service from their schools. Some of the statistics are quite worrying and we will definitely be on the campaigning trail soon to raise awareness among teachers on how to help their left-handed pupils.

We had a huge number of comments from people telling us about their own experiences in all areas of our survey. We have included a few examples in the main analysis and a link to a full page of each as we think others may find them instructive and it may reassure lefties who are having problems that they are certainly not alone.

See the full results and analysis of the survey here

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

117 comments on “Survey on School Experiences
  1. Lisa says:

Like so many others on here I can totally relate to all your experiences. I have managed to cope in a right hand world by just fitting in as best I can. As a child with two right-handed parents, I was often told off for not doing things right e.g I had real trouble with using a knife and fork, they wouldn’t listen when I said I couldn’t use the vegetable peeler the same way they did. I don’t think my parents realized that some of my troubles were due to trying to do things right handed. I generally found a way to do things but they were usually messier than everyone else.
    My mum tried to teach me to knit but I couldn’t get it. Even looking in a mirror didn’t help. I have real trouble with the difference between left and right and get them confused all the time, don’t know if this is a lefty thing, but I do wonder if that’s got something to do with it.
    To this day my handwriting isn’t the best – even I can’t read it sometimes! My parents insisted I do technical drawing at high school, I think they thought it would help me write tidier – I failed miserably and spent the year with pencil smudges all over the left arm of my school jacket! My writing didn’t improve. I hadn’t realized that rulers were a problem until reading some of your comments- I think I just automatically counted backwards.
    I learnt to play recorder, flute, guitar and piano – all the right-handed way. I use a mouse with my right hand as it was easier when using shared computers. Sometimes it’s an advantage being a lefty – I can type well with my left hand and sometimes keep right on the mouse (depending on how much typing I’m doing).
    I think having to learn to do things right handed has improved my left-right balance. I’m very logical and analytical but am also creative and enjoy music and crafts.
    Life became so much easier when a friend bought me some left handed scissors – now when I cut fabric to patterns I can follow the lines and see where I’m cutting! I have a vegetable peeler that works well for both left and right handed people. I still have trouble with the can opener, perhaps I shall invest in a lefty one!

2. Shamira says:

I spent most of my time with my grandparents before I started school. My grandmother taught me to read and write at age 3. She thought lefties grew up to be criminals and my grandfather thought lefties were stupid. So my grandmother forced me to use my right hand to write and eat. As I grew up, I learned to do some things left-handed as that was the only way I could do them. I remember telling my mom that I thought I was left-handed several times as a child, but was always told I was right-handed. At age 50, I had rotator cuff surgery on the right which forced me to use only the left for several months. It was SO much easier to do everything left-handed, I just continued to be left-handed. Finally my mom told me I was forced to be right-handed. I am proud to be a lefty. I am no longer clumsy or messy. 🙂 My memory has improved, as well as my coordination. I have ordered many left-handed items now and found it so much easier to use them. It’s great to be the lefty I was born to be even if it took me 50 years to get there. 😉

3. Jen says:

Learning to write was a difficulty but luckily my mum worked hard with me at home. Not only was I a confirmed left hander but when I began to write I did mirror writing, and even once she got me going the right way if I was copying and couldn’t fit it all in I just turned round at the end of the line and came back along in mirror writing. Scissors were always a problem at school as I found it so hard to use them and remember lots of comments about my untidy cutting, in those days schools didn’t have any left handed scissors. When I was at middle school we learned about the left handed shop and I got a left handed fountain pen and left handed scissors I could keep in my pencil case. No more complaints about my cutting. I developed my own way of writing, turning my pad round so I was writing vertically towards my body producing neat writing that no one would take as being by a lefty. One teacher though who got in a flap about the state of the classes writing tried to force me to turn my book round and write across my body, as soon as her back was turned I turned it back as I knew my writing was far neater than that of many of my class mates. My writing style has made it near impossible to write on blackboards, flip chart stands being slightly easier as I can stand at the right hand side and almost hug the board and write towards my body. Bumping elbows was always a problem in school unless I could get at the correct end of a row.

Only as a mature student did I discover left handed rulers, it was a God send as I had spent my school years counting backwards to draw lines as I draw them from right to left, always have done, always will do it just feels natural.

My other difficulties are cutlery, peelers, and tin openers. For years my parents went on at me about not being able to use a knife and fork properly, it was always ‘cut with your knife don’t pull’. I just couldn’t do it and came to dislike meat dinners that weren’t easy for me to cut. Then one day in my teens my mum said maybe I should use my cutlery in the other hand as I already put my side plate at the opposite side. I switched hands and bingo I could use a knife and forl properly. It’s turned many a head in restaurants when I reset the table between placing an order and getting my food. Bumping elbows remains a problem in places where there isn’t much space. I’ve had a left handed peeler since my teens, meaning I finally couldn’t get out of helping peel the veg, but it does mean that as an adult I’m not so useless in the kitchen. My folks have always had a rotary tin opener and I never managed to use it, it just results in a mangled can that they then find hard to open for me. I use one of those ones that take the whole top of the can off and can be turned either way, but a few times I have had to resort to going to the neighbours if my folks haven’t been around and asking them to open a tin as I haven’t wanted to remove the whole top as it means the contents can spill. It’s a bit embarrassing. I keep saying I will buy myself a left handed rotary tin opener. Maybe 2011 will be the year?

4. Amanda says:

We must be clever than righties ,they would never adapt if it was a left handed world,shame would love to get me own back on alll the people who callled me “odd, keggie,”or you look weird doing that!
    More lefties needed

• Jen says:

If I had a pound for every time someone said to me “you look weird doing that ” or “you look awkward to doing that” I’d be a rich woman.

5. Alison says:

Reading this I am surprised at the number of people who smudge their writing – I have always naturally turned the paper sideways. It has never been an issue, and I didn’t notice at first that I was doing it without thought.
    However turning your paper sideways so you write from underneath makes it almost impossible to use a left handed itallic fountain pen for me unlike one of the comments abouve I was better off with a right handed one.
    I too turn scissors upside down to cut with them – although I do now have some left handed scissors they did not have them when I was at school. Having learned how to use a vegetable peeler for right handers I cannot peel with a left handed one. Similarly I have trouble using a left handed pencil sharpener as I am not used to it.
    Left handed hockey sticks did exist when I was at school – there just were not enough of them.
    Nostly I don’t notice the ways things are set up for right handers until recently when I pulled a muscle in my lower back. I thine started to notice how I streched over for things more – such as handles on RHS of items, toilet flushes on buttons on appliences etc.

• Jen says:

That’s how I write too, I just found it naturally, it felt comfortable and produced neat writing that people praised, but it means I have the same problem with italic pens.

6. Kerry, klm22264@hotmail.com says:

This best thing I have ever done recently was buy some left handed rulers for some students from Anything Lefthanded to give to my students in year 5. I was not fortunate like them because I am 46 and I spent the first day of school being smacked with the side of a ruler over the knuckles because I was using my left hand to write. Thankfully, that night, when my dad saw the bruises and me trying at 6 to write with my right hand he put a stop to me being forced to be a right hander.
    I was the only one is the room who was left handed. I bumped elbows a lot with the person beside me. The teacher would not put me out on the left of the row. I have love being a leftie but know of the frustration I used to give my mum sometimes. I could not use a can opener because they were all right handed so I needed someone to open the dog food for me. My mum became aware of how difficult some things were for me when she saw me trying to use a little sewing machine. I was turning the wheel backwards because I had it facing the other way because it was a right handed toy.
    I was loathed in softball and cricket because I learned to bat right handed after playing hockey because I had no choice but to play it right handed. Golf was and had to be right handed because there were no such thing as left handed clubs or hockey sticks. I would bowl left and bat right or left. I had trouble using a mitt in softball because they were made for right handers, so I did not use one when I played.
    I cannot use left handed scissors – there were none when I was growing up and I tried to use left handed when they came out but could not. I closed my eyes to ‘think and see’ how I used right handed scissors in my left hand. I put a lot of pressure in my thumb and that’s how I can use right handed scissors in my left.
    I love cooking but a lot of equipment is right handed. I have had to learn to use a lot of things right handed. I do not have a choice, there are no left handed ones.
    I use thick writing books upside down so the spiral is on the right side of me or I only write on the left side of the two pages.
    I don’t twist my hand in when I write so I don’t see what I have written either. I tick students work on the left so I can see what they have done. I make checklists with all their names down the right hand side of the sheet. I use a mark book on its side.
    I learned to crochet right handed because the lady who taught was right and gave me no choice because she could not work out how to teach me but I learned to knit left handed by sitting in fornt of my right handed nana as she knitted coathangers.
    I am the only one in my family who is left because I am the eldest. I have tracked back for four generations on my mum’s side of the family and the eldest child born in each family has been left handed except my daughter. she was the first born in five generations to not be left handed but she has married a man who is left handed.
    I think that left handers are wonderfully creative, problem solving people. We have to adapt and think about things all the time and, we notice things other people don’t. We are very observant and many don’t know how the world is for us unless they live with us. My mum still says that she knows when I have been at her house and done the dishes for her because the spoons are lying in the drawer the other way round.
    I saw someone cut up something recently who was a leftie and I thought, that’s how I look…..it must look weird to many but I love being a leftie!

• Jen says:

I never did learn to knit or crochet as my mum is right handed and tried teaching me right handed, dhe’d start me off and I’d manage a wee bit but if I put it down I didn’t know which way I was going when I picked it up. She tried starting me left handed, quite a chore for her but if I dropped a stitch she found it near impossible to pick it up again for me so I gave up. Sewing machines are something I’ve never mastered either as they are the wrong way round for me as I want to control the fabric with my left hand not my right. The only sewing I’ve mastered is cross stitch as I can turn it around to stitch so the crosses all go the right way, I’ve even designed my own patterns and turned it into an art form.

• Parkheaddoc says:

I knit right handed, but I think I do it differently from righties. I just keep the right needle still and do the movements with the left. The act of passing the wool over the needle is easy with either hand and does not need particular dexterity. Wonder if others find the same. I am one of those lefties who uses a knife and fork in the ‘right’ way but gets in a complete tangle working out how to eat pudding with a fork and spoon. I am a left handed tennis player but a right handed hockey player.

7. Jessi says:

I, too, am a lefty. I agree with many of the above observations… being left-handed has it’s challenges but I think there’s alot that we’ve adapted to. Take can- openers for example. Any of you turn the can opener (the electric kind) backwards and open the can that way? I don’t. I’ve simply learned to do that task right-handed.
    The same with scissors. I struggled with cutting precisely for years, till someone bought me a pair of very nice, expensive left-handed scissors. And guess what? I couldn’t use them at all! I had so adapted to using right-handed scissors *with my right hand* that it was impossible to use the left-handed version.
    I say all of that, to state the obvious fact that being left-handed means that we of necessity must learn to do many things in a way that does not come naturally to us. We have to adapt, and I believe it does stretch us to be versatile, to be creative……we learn to see things from the other side, so to speak. 🙂
    So, fellow lefties, don’t look at being left handed as a difficulty that we must bear with. It makes us adaptable, makes us think, makes us challenge ourselves. God made us that way!

• Cynthia says:

I am a leftie. And proud of it. Four of my five brothers are lefties. One of my leftie brothers just turns the right-handed scissors upside down and cuts with them using his left hand. I have tried that, doesn’t work for me. One of my leftie brothers only writes and eats with his left hand and does everything else with his right hand. My left handed check at school drives everyone crazy. Don’t blame the teachers completely for trying to change lefties into right-handed people. Society thought it was wrong to be left handed. But lefties have prevailed. I think lefties are more adaptable than right handed people because we have to learn how to do things lefthanded in a righthanded world.When you are writing with an ink pen slant your paper to the left and don’t curl your hand. I taught myself how to do that because I got tried of anink stainedblouse cuff and ink stained left hand. It is also the correct way to hold the pen and have the paper. Most teachers don’t teach that because they aren’t lefties. But it works. I have been writing that way for 40 some years and I teach my leftie students to write that way.

• Parkheaddoc says:

Did you get those horrid blisters on the back of your thumb from using right handed dressmakers or other shaped scissors? I too cannot use left handed scissors through years of adapting my grip to right handed ones. I do have a pair of dressmaking scissors which have left handed grip but right hand blades. That is a bit weird but they were either made by a company which did not get it, or by a company that realised that we have all been so used to using right handed scissors we could no use the left handed ones.

8. Elizabeth Woodvine says:

My infant and primary experience was horrendous! I had my left hand tied behind me to the back of the chair and the rule across my hand so I couldn’t write…. teachers have A LOT to answer for! (Imagine this in a school today? There’d be abuse claims hitting the headlines!)

In secondary school where the rule progressed to the cane, I had many lashings for being ‘unruly’ for not following right handed instructions, delivered on my left hand for not being believed to be left handed!

It did however make me reasonably ambitextrous and as a tutor use the board markers in both / either hand which focusses my learners!

I LOVE being a lefty and ensure left handed day is celebrated and lefty equipment is available.

9. Fako Maama says:

the only time I experienced problems was when I was young, my teacher always telling me to use my right hand. that really frustrated me. I guess again, with my experience I never liked studying languages, they seemed a time waster but with other subjects like Maths, Biology and Physics, I enjoyed and passed with good marks as compared to my other classmates. I even went on to obtaining Honours degree in Mathematical Statistics.

All am saying is, being a leftie isn’t all that bad.

10. Holly says:

Here is a good scissor story. I remeber when I had entered elementary school my mother made a huge deal that I get the left handed scissors. Well, they got me the left handed scissors and to my suprise they did not work. What I didn’t know was that as a child I had already adapted. I was cutting with my right hand. fed up of the scissors never working I had just put them in the other hand, so when I finally got the left handed scissors I just put them in the right hand too. finally my grandmother bought me a pair that I could put in either hand.
    I constantly had ink on the side of my hand, but I just came to accept it as part of the priviledge of being left handed. I remember the first discovery of a left handed desk. I had no clue they even existed. One day I was in college and saw a different desk sitting in the cornor, once I discovered what it was I was over joyed. And have looked for them since.
    I do notice one big thing since the scissors is that sometimes I just adapt to things, or get used to it just being for right handed people. such as the can opener, I just adapt. I think that left handed people are just more adaptable like that, you know right handers could never adapt in a left handed world.

Holly

11. karen says:

There are three left handers in our family including me and we always have to sit next to eachother at dinners. At school its hard cause they only have right handed utensils like siscers. the desks are the main problem its really hard to do work when i cant even write on the desks without feeling like im not confortable. i love being lefthanded it shows that i am different and i like it.

12. Jennifer says:

My leftie school-experience was quite ok, actually. I don ´t even remember discovering that I was a leftie and my parents are both right handed(my great grandfather was left-handed), but have been very supporting. My biggest problem in school I think, has always been the scissors. Because if there ´s one thing I absolutely can ´t do it ´s cut with my right hand. In kindergarten, they didn ´t have any left-hand scissors, and even if they had, I ´m sure the teachers wouldn ´t have let me use them. They were probably the most conservative people I have ever come across. Otherwise, when I started grate school, there were always an extremely short supply on left-hand scissors, and there wasn ´t really anything the teachers could do about it. So for most of my school years I had to rely on my friends to cut the things we were supposed to.
    When it comes to athletics, I am kind of ambidextrous. I can use whatever foot to kick a ball, but I always seem to want my left foot in front of the other. When I took badminton classes I was lucky enough to get a left handed instructor, so that went well.
    I also find spiral notebooks very disturbing. The first two words I write on a new row always look a bit strange, due to the restrain that comes with the spiral. And there ´s always those little things, isn ´t it? I always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, but when I tried it felt so awkward. And my school actually had ONE left-handed guitar, but guess what? It was broken. And no one bothered to fix it.
    Well, leftie jokes aside, it shouldn ´t really matter if you use your “right” or left hand the most. And I want to help my little cousin(he ´s 2) to be aware of that!

13. chloé says:

hey guys ..
    i can really relate to most of yous .. bu eh do any1 correct/tick back wards i really want ta know ..

14. Sheila says:

I have always had an interest to what extreme a person is left handed. I am left handed, my mom and my sister are left handed, my 2 kids are left handed. It is strange when you meet someone else who is left handed because it is almost like an instant bond.

Things I do left handed: eat, kick, shoot a basket ball, throw, iron, bowl, open doors

Things I do right handed: Cut (I never could figure out the left handed scissor), golf, swing a bat.

Things that came easy for me were music and art, seeing the big picture of things.

Things that were difficult: Math and Science, I can not drive a stick shift car if feels backwards, as well as playing certain video games. Playing guitar felt backwards, and in fact I tried turning it upside down and playing it, I just had to think a little differently.

I hated sitting in the desks in college because all of them were meant for right handed people except for the one on the end of the row. Spiral notebooks always bothered me too. I always had pencil or pen residue on the side of my left hand. Another thing that is totally meant for right handers are the pens on the signature pad at the stores.

• Jen says:

I do almost everything left handed (cut, eat, peel, draw lines, tick, open tins, kick a ball, use a racquet or bat).

Like you I’m good at art but bad at maths.

Driving a stick shift though was never a problem as it meant using my dominant hand for the gear stick so it felt natural. Learning to drive though was fun as I’m not good at knowing my left from my right. Giving directions when in a taxi or if someone else is driving means a lot of waving of hands or pointing.

• Karen W says:

its weird the way im good at art and maths….well im better at art i can draw with one hand and colour with the other(even though it doesnt look as good)

15. ali says:

im lefty just like evry1 else. im a little screwed up cuz my dad foreced me 2 do everything with my right hand when i was little. to tjis day, i wish he had let me be. my handwriting is kind of messy. im lefty, so is my cuzin, and all of my uncles. cutting is hell. as a kid, i was always yelled at for cutting with righty scisors with my left hand. my gym tearcher was lefty so that wasnt a big problem for me. going out to dinner with afamily is hard because wherever i sit, i bunp into someones arm. but spite all the dificultys im PROUD TO ME LEFTY!!!!

16. Bill says:

As a left-hander, I had real trouble in school; not so much with the content, but with the way it was presented. I found out years later, that one of may main reasons was that I was a random-abstract learner, and the vast majority of my teachers were logical-sequential learners, teaching only to other logical-sequential learners.Needless to say, a toxic environment to anyone who learns differently! I’ve always been very intuitive, and could solve problems by going from A-Z easily; never understanding why they wanted me to follow “logical”, sequential reasoning. I also refused to do homework, seeing it as drudgery and punish work, rather than an enhancement to my learning. I eventually earned a B.S. in Business Management, a B.A. in Secondary English Education, and master’s degree in Educational Technology by figuring out how to be successful in a left-brain dominant system. During my master’s studies, I took a course in learning styles, and found out that only 25% of the population are logical-sequential learners. Unfortunately for the other 75%, they dominate in the government, business and educational sectors. Sadly, the higher you go in education, the more logical-sequential the requirements get! Until the university systems embrace the numerous learning styles the majority of us possess, they will remain stagnant, and the progressive thinkers who may have made substantial improvements in all disciplines, will never be allowed access. The other 75% of us need to reverse this inequity.

I never was good a “team” sports, but did well in the individual ones; swimming, cycling, tennis, dancing, and martial arts. These sports allow for the creativity of thought and movement to manifest themselves. I particularly recommend bagua zhang (pa kua chang), a Chinese internal art, for left-handers. The form is based on the I-Ching circle, and the exercises are done equally on the left and right-handed sides. Lefties excel at being more ambidextrous than righties, and this form continues to build ambidexterity.

• Parkheaddoc says:

Not sure that is necessarily associated with being a leftie. we can have as many individual learning styles as anybody else.

17. Nancy Stapp McCurdy says:

I have been left-handed all my life. My parents didn’t know I was left-handed until after I had started school and the teacher(either Kindergarten or 1st grade)asked my parents if they were trying to switch me. They weren’t. I do the majority of things left-handed, write, eat, bowl, but due to way things were made in the 1950’s I did have to learn to use my right hand in a variety of ways. . Now I do these things with ease. I don’t have a dominent foot at all. Whichever one comes across the object(like a ball)first, is the foot that I use. Sometimes it’s my left foot, sometimes it’s my right foot.
    I am proud to be a left-handed person!!!! We are all unique in our own way!!!!

18. Mike says:

Im left handed.. like everyone here. I’m 22 now and have made some observations, It is clear in my body that i am right brain dominant, as i write with my left hand, the left side of my body is more heavily muscled, and stronger, it just seems so much easier to push the left side of my body in the gym, and even when i run long distances i notice that my left leg tones and repairs much faster than my right.

I can lift my left eyebrow but not my right, I can even move my left ear by will but not my right.. I find this very interesting.

Also I am very creative where others are not.. this is usually attributed to right-brainers, I find i have entrepreneurial ideas spilling out of my head everyday.

My hand writing is CRAP.

I have almost finished a mathematics degree now and have found it exceptionally hard compared to my classmates (all left brainers).

On the other hand.. so to speak. I have become ambidextrous at many things, namely guitar playing, fly fishing, throwing a ball, playing pool, and when swimming freestyle I have always breathed on both sides quite naturally. I find driving cars in other countries with the steering column on the opposite side easier than others too.

Lefties UNITE!

• Heather says:

OMG I TOTALLY AGREE! LEFTIES UNITE! I am also left handed however I am ambidextrous at most sports. Like you said though, my left side has proved dominance over my right side.

• Karen W says:

whenever i play sports like tennis or basketball i can always switch hands whenever the other one gets tired. so im good at playing sports that last a long time

19. PJ says:

I am the only left handed person in my family. I had a hard time in kindergarten because the teacher thought I was right handed and made me “sit” on my left hand! They told my mom that I was dyslexic because everything I wrote was backwards! My mother told them that I was left handed and she never noticed backward writing… Then it came to learning to tie my shoes… well, after spending a very long time watching a right handed person do it, I learned how to watch and “do it backward”. There are alot of things I still do that way. I have to use my right hand to use scissors because left handed scissors weren’t around when I was young. I guess you could say I am ambidedextrous, I use my right hand for alot of things, even writing! I found growing up left handed in a right hander’s world was hard, but overcoming the right hand obstacles made it easier. I wish there had been more left handed gear growing up!

• Heather says:

I can totally relate PJ. I feel so bad to what happened to you in kindergarten. Its tough because i am also the ONLY lefty in the household, it pains me to go to chruch and bless myself backwards. But this does have one advantage. When my right handed sister and I play tennis doubles, our defense and offense is no match for two righties, our forehand is invincible

20. dexed says:

Im 21 already, and so far in my life, i used fairly both hand for daily tasks, though im a lefty. Maybe because no one complained about it since i was child (but i was scolded for using bare left hand to eat rice-Malaysian, fyi). It is easy to adapt most right handed stuff if we are still young, as the brain is still developing at that stage. Once we grow older, that things that once implanted to the brain stays on. For now, whatever on the right, i use my right hand, and vice versa, except for some stuff. It may occur naturally to some of us because of upbringing( im the only lefty in my family). However, being a lefty, my right hand is the strongest, yet my left one is the skillful. Though i can write with my right hand (only using marker and on the whiteboard, paper is exception), i dont see any much difference in quality of writing.
    Just a matter, most of the time, when i play sport with lefty, i noticed how awkward i used to be because i never asked the right handers how do i look, hehe.

• Shamim says:

Dear Dexed ,
      I really like your observation. I’m lefty my wife lefty, my younger sister lefty. My four sons are righthanded. I really like your observations……..” It is easy to adapt most right handed stuff if we are still young, as the brain is still developing at that stage. Once we grow older, that things that once implanted to the brain stays on.” ………But i can’t write in right hand.

• dexed says:

yeah, even i cant write on paper with right hand. can, but i can never say those are letters. more like symbols, or scribbles. as long as my hand did not touch the surface, my right hand works just ok for writing. its very hard for me to learn something using right hand at this age, though im 21. i x dare to say if age is the concern here, because im still inexperienced. well, this thread also makes me remember how awkward i was in primary school, to learn using recorder by watching the teacher in front. i wonder at that time, is it me, or my teacher who x know how to hold a recorder. LOL.

21. jackelin says:

At a picnic they were all playing archery, If I wanted to play I had to invert the bow and use it upside down or couldnt play. Sometimes I really think ….who decided it all had to be on the right side? Here we have a place that sells well water, there are several faucets and you bring bottles and fill them. The last time I went I noticed the handles were all on the right. So you have to turn on the water with the right. I tend to hold the bottle with my right, turn it on with the left crossed over then retake the bottle with the left and fill it. In essence it may be better, because my dominant hand can carry the weight of the bottle and just turn off the faucet with the right…but everything is on the right! I just feel left out many times…plain unconsidered.

• Myself says:

I know what you mean. I’m not even 16 yet, but it’s still annoying that everything is on the right side.

At banks, and on different other places where you have to sign papers, the pens are chained to the right side of the desk, and it’s amazingly hard, if not impossible, to sign what they ask you to.

The problem is, that when you confront people about this, they always say “Oh, come on, it’s not a big deal.” so of course I’m like “Well, if it’s not a big deal to you, then just change the pens to the left side!”

• Tyler I. says:

I’ve been into archery since i was 3, and my father, who is ambidexterous, decided to teach me right handed. I have found that being right handed has it’s advantages because my right hand steadies the bow, and i can even use my left hand to help draw bows with a heavy draw weight by lifting the bow, and then droping it into position.

22. Shamim says:

I’m lefty and my wife is also lefty. And my younger sister also lefthanded. But my four sons are rithg handed. I wanted one of them should lefty but it won’t worked. I feel pride being lefty. In my young age (1976) being lefty in the school i was treated differently which wasn’t nice.

23. Bryan says:

I hate hitting somebody’s elbow because I’m left handed. Thankfully, my teachers noticed it and put me on the left side of people. It’s difficult for lefties. You don’t get much notice from people. But we all should be proud to be lefties. 🙂

24. spud the lefty says:

The annoying thing is that children at school actually get taught how to do things, the right handed way. I am really annoyed seeing as I do things right handed… It feels really weird but I do – do more things left handed which is great! I love being left handed though! It may be annoying at times.

Karen, I completely agree with you, same with my 2ndry school, there are only right handed scissors and believe me it is really really annoying!

25. Karen says:

I am not left handed but my son is, he is 6 years old, and there are some frustrations for him at school, one is the class he is in now only had right handed scissors for the kids and he was having trouble cutting out, so I had to buy him a left handed pair to use in class, and one other thing that annoyed me was the teacher was getting him to finger space, now unless he is to do acrobats to write over top of his hand he is using for finger spacing this is just not going to work.

• Gaynor Seckerson says:

I had terrible problems writing as a child, but fortunately my grandfather who was also left handed, advised me to turn the paper 90 degrees, so that I didn’t have to hold my hand at that awkward angle that so many lefties do. If your son’s teacher insists that he uses his finger for spacing between words then he could do it from above the letters not below – if his teacher has a problem with that, I suggest you have a word with him/her.

26. Ann says:

I went to elementary schools in England, Canada and the States. In England and Canada I was allowed to turn my writing paper in the direction that accomodated my left handedness and could write underhanded. But in the States, I was forced to turn my paper in the same direction as the right-handed students, and learn to write overhanded, which of course made for either messier papers, as one’s hand would brush over the fresh ink, or for more muscle strain, as one kept one’s hand and arm elevated to avoid touching the paper.
    The desks in my colleges in the States were all made for right-handed students, with a small writing surface attached to a right arm rest. I would try to find two vacant desks next to each other and lay a clipboard between them so that I could rest my left arm on it while writing class notes and exams. I had learned that an hour or two of non-stop writing without arm support was something worth avoiding whenever possible!

• joe web says:

I totally agree with u , there all wrong or right , were all right ,or left

• Bryan says:

I was almost a forced righty, but I refused to turnover!

• Anne says:

I was forced in Kindergarden, grade 2 and grade 2 untill I got used to writting with my right hand. Untill I saw a home video of me playing with my toys and making pictures from candy with my left hand, Now that I’m not forced to use my right hand I like using my left… schools shouldn’t do that to kids >.< It took me 6 years untill I could write properly with my right hand and my left is so much better!

• Jess says:

Right, it’s difficult or nearly impossible to write with a fountain pen with your left hand. I studied caligraphy for a year and a half, and was required to use a fountain pen for that course – and in the end, had a stained cuff, stained hand, but had the accomplishment of being able to write with the fountain pen. And it was able to be read!!
          I agree, it can be confusing trying to learn to play sports left-handed or left-footed. As a strong lefty myself, that was a challenge. Driving, also, was a hurdle – my left foot constantly was trying to do the job my right foot needed to do. But alas, where there’s a will, there’s a way!

27. Mohammad says:

Im a musician but it’s not my career, auditing is. The thing is that I started playing the guitar since I was 12 years old, now I’m 24. But I learned how to play it the way righ handers do. I have no problem using the left hand on the nick of the guitar cause it’s pretty easy and fast! But sometimes my right hand cannot keep up with the left hand so I’m having problems hehe. But although, I evolved pretty much faster than my other friends who are right handed due to my speedy left hand on the nick! 😀

You can check my videos on youtube by searching for (MOERTZ).

Peace out!

28. Sarah says:

My handrwiting and spelling was always good.I was ahead in reading, writing, drawing, music and languages. I simply had no confidence in maths and the teachers had no patience with me. Sport was a complete disaster. The PE teachers really seemed to despise me! I always dropped a ball that was thrown to me. I never understood how to apply my body to the rules of a game. The disabled kids were picked for teams before I was. I dropped out at 17 and returned to college at 19. Went to University as a mature student. Made it in the end I guess, I am doing a Masters in Education now (Left, but not least, (geddit?). I teach english in German schools, and I try to make sure that no student (leftie or righty) is made to feel like a second class citizen. This seems like a sad comment, but it isn’t really. I love being a lefty – and I love discovering that other people are lefties too – then you can have a REALLY challenging conversation, firendship, etc … other lefties don’t let me get away with social laziness.

29. NICKI says:

I remember we had to keep our left hand clean, teachers called it your “Sunday hand” they never could realize the

paint can was on the opposite side of where i had to dip the
    brush, of course, paint all over, hmm

also, still to this day, I received a report from my grade 6
    teacher, “Despite Nicki’s back-hhand slant, she continues to progress. To this day I ask myself like what does that mean? I think it scared me for life!! seriously

30. Ash says:

At school we had to write with a old fashioned fountain pen which was great for all the right-handed kids but horrible for all us lefties. I spent more time trying to fix the smudging of my writing than actually doing my work.The ink dried so slowly that I was smudging everything I wrote as I moved my hand across the page. The side of my hand was constantly covered in ink!

I also saw how difficult it was playing sport in a right-hand dominate world.I played tennis and netball at school and I’ve never seen coaches more annoyed with left handed people. I was the only leftie on my team so the coach was constantly annoyed when he noticed that I was not following his instructions of “Step forward with your leftfoot and throw with your right.” Try following that instruction if you a lefty! I landed up doing everything my own way and my started calling me a “backwards child.”

Another small thing that annoyed me was when teachers allocated desks.If you put a lefty on the right side of a right handed person,you constantly bump arms when writing.My teachers got frustrated everytime I asked if I could sit on the left,always commenting “What difference does it make?” And all lefties know that it’s a fairly big one!

Well there are lots of other example but I won’t bore you with all those. As a side note- dispite all the challenges lefties have to face,I’ms till proud to be one!

• Uswa says:

I know how it feels when teachers are annoyed with you when you don’t follow the instructions correctly just because you’re a lefty.
      I hate sitting on the right side of right-handed students because it’s annoying when your arms constantly bump.

• Karen W says:

this happens to every left handed child including me but my teacher had to move me to the lefthand side of the table because others kept on complaining