Teaching resources to help left-handed children
If you are linking to this page you can also do it using
Despite assurances from the Teacher Training Agency over a decade ago and fine things said by government education ministers, it appears that teachers still receive no formal training in the basic essential differences in left-handed writing technique. Many teachers are completely unaware that 1 in 10 of their students may be struggling unnecessarily with mastering this essential skill, simply because of the hand they write with. The feedback on a recent article on this issue by the Left Handers Club indicated that the majority of primary school teachers are:
- Unaware that the issues exist, often assuming the struggling child may have learning difficulties or co-ordination problems
- Have no knowledge of the required techniques to assist left-handed writing.
This page is an index to relevant training videos, books, equipment and aids that will help teachers understand the requirement of the left-handed children in their class and give them the skills and tools to actually help them. We hope teachers will use this information and parents of left-handed children will bring it to their attention.
All pages below will open in a new browser tab so you do not lose your place here.
General information and survey results
- Feedback on article on teaching and left-handed children
- Results and analysis from our survey of left-handed children’s school experiences
- Your Left Handed Child – book full of useful background and advice
- Our page of videos on writing left-handed
Scissors and cutting
- Our video on left handed scissors and cutting
- Quick video explanation of left-handed scissors
- Children’s left handed scissors
We will shortly be producing a short questionnaire for parents to take to their schools to find out what is currently available as guidance to teachers on helping left-handed children. Following that we are going to produce some dedtailed guidance notes for teachers and parents. If you would like to be advised when these are available,
If you have any comments or would like to assist us with this work in any way, please add a comment to the relevant information page or use this form to contact Keith at Anything Left Handed