Welcome to our lefty information section

We have built up a huge library of information about lefthanders and being left-handed over the past 40 years and we are adding it all to this website so you can share it, add your own comments and advice and pass it on to others.

You can use the horizontal menu at the top to select product sections in our online shop or the Left-Handed Information menu to the right so find out more about Being Left Handed.

Index page for all of our surveys on left-handedness with analysis of results
(this is on our www.lefthandersday.com website - opens in a new browser tab)

Left Handed Shop

Shop

Click Shop Online then choose the product sections you want or use the search box to find things.

Left handed information

Information

This section - our pages about being left-handed. You can add comments to the pages and we will add relevant new material to our pages to keep them up to date.

Left handed blog

Blog

We write blog posts to highlight new items on the site and all sorts of small "news" items. Use the "News Categories" menu on the right and the "Latest Posts" section to browse posts.

Search for left handed information

Search

Search for information or products using one of the boxes above.

Left Handers Club

Join The Club

The Left Handers Club has been going since 1990 and we send a monthly email newsletter to all members.

Questions?

Click here to see our page on how to get your questions answered

left hand thumbs up

We love to get your feedback and a lot of the information and products we have created are as a direct result of requests from customers and site visitors.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

128 comments on “Being LH Home
  1. richard bamsey says:

I was at art college in the 60’s and they thourght they would teach us all calligraphy, half of us were LH so they gave up. If you want to comment by the way spelling is not something some of us are good at, we get by, without the spell checker I might say selibrate.
    Love Spud

2. Scottie says:

I was lucky to be born to a left-handed mother, who had first hand knowledge of what happens when a child is forced to be right-handed. One of her brothers was left-handed and was forced to change. My mother said that it changed his moods and made him more sullen. Her mother wouldn’t let them change her, but she did change the way she faced the paper she would be writing on. She developed the upside-down writing style of most left-handers. I, for one, face the paper in the direction that a left-handed person should, so I don’t have that smudge. But, I did have to learn to use items that were designed for right-handed people and used them left-handed. But, I am glad there is a place that offers products for left-handed people. Hurrah for all left-handers.

3. Barry Whiting says:

Having been in the voluntary sector for many years supporting parents of children with special educational needs, I am amaized that lefthandedness is not taken more notice of in schools. My expertise is with dyslexia but my experience has shown that being an unrecognised (or ignored) lefthander can be just as much a disability as dyslexia. The same self esteem issues apply and the failure to reach potential can be the same. Do keep looking for unrecognised lh and continue spreading the word. That lefthanded child, once lh is recognised, could go on to be someone important. Be proud that you helped rather than one who walked by on the other side!

• Rachel Breakspear says:

Barry Whiting : I absolutely agree ! I think education is outdated and over powered by one particular teaching professional who’s made a fortune from selling her educational books. I think far too much thinking power is wasted mulling over teaching and learning strategies and styles that are not scientifically proven, although the V A R.K learning styles is a good theory, sadly that’s all it is, just a theory. What science knowns is simply this we lefties think using a different side of our brains to right handed people however, no dought the majority of teachers in our schools are right handers, unknowingly imposing their very own preferred right handed learning style on their unsuspecting left handed pupils. This applies to all teachers regardless of the hand they use, fact is our children will never be equals in the classroom because let’s face it, what are the chances the teacher is ambidextrous ? Pretty slim I’d say. One will always excel above the other depending on their teacher until we make education listen and stop pushing the issue under the carpet. We are supposed to be a nation that embraces equality and celebrates diversity and education is meant to be accessible to all, not to us it ain’t

4. Sven T says:

Hello. I’m Sven.
    I am 53 years old and a leftie.
    This month’s discovery:
    Cling foil and aluminium rolls are designed for right hand use.
    If You tear it off with a back hand twist as a leftie it will work so much easier.

5. Inara says:

Hi guys! I feel so trapped as I am always stuck in a society of right handed people, I got the new left handed writing pad and it’s much more easier I really felt more comfortable, I don’t know how I’m left handed since no one in my family is

6. Gabrelle says:

I CAN DO IT TOO!!!!! Although it freaked out my teachers, i was 10 and i unconsciously did it in an exam.

7. Sue R says:

I am from a right-handed family; and my handwriting at eleven years old was dreadful; then, moving schools, I found 8 of us in class of 24 were left-handed. THIS school insisted that we all used left-handed nibs; and gave details of your store in Beak Street. My handwriting instantly improved! I was also able to have the paper upright on the desk, in front of me.Later, working in Central London, I visited the shop and stocked the kitchen with left-handed scissors. I also have left-handed rulers.Within the last two days, I have given the address of this website to two parents, with pre-teen lefties … who are ‘finding it difficult’ to write clearly. My sister has also been recommending your starter pack to the parent of a small child. She only knew about the web-site because I had been to the shop.The only thing which I do right-handed is to eat with a knife and fork: it was too late to change this habit, by the time I heard of you.

8. Robin says:

So my dad told me that when I started kindergarten when I was little. The people working there told him that they thought that I was retarded cause I couldn’t use the scissors correctly and so on… So then he asked them if the knew that I was left-handed. And the answer is ofc: “No!”. And this was around 1998-2000.And one funny thing is that im still the only left-handed person in my class, people still ask me today if I’m left-handed.

9. augusto says:

Hi, I write because I like to sale their products in Argentina .i Need to know the price for large purchases and how long to get these products in my Countrythanks

10. Lynne Tootill says:

I am a left handed textiles teacher.. Has anyone ever noticed that to thread a sewing machine you can thread it much more easily if you are left handed.. I wonder if the inventor was a lefty.
    When I point this out to my students the right handers complain that a right handed sewing machine need to be available.
    The left handers just smile knowingly…

11. CheekyGee says:

I am the only left hander in my family. Both of my siblings and mother are right handers. My dad was ambi-dexterous. I was also born a dislocated left leg and remained dislocated for over 3 months after non-stop specialists in figuring out what to do with my dislocated left leg due to fear of delay in walking. This same fear was implanted in my parents’ mind who are both in the same medical field as nurses – LOL! One morning, my dad had the idea of pinching my left leg in the midst of a nappy change and I apparently kicked hard enough to pop my left leg back into place. To prove the specialists are wrong of their fear, I was walking unassisted before my first birthday. As an adult, I have a party trick of dislocating my left leg and kicking it back into place with no pain at all.Left handers have to be adaptable in a right handed pre-dominate world – as if we have any choice in it anyway. I am grateful that no one even attempted to try and change my leftiness. In fact, my dad taught and encouraged me to embrace it wholeheartedly without prejudice. Everyone is different in their own way – left or right handed.As a left hander, I have experienced “accidents” on my right side (non-dominate side) such as my motorbike and car accident, and minor sport injuries – thank god no broken bones yet!.But growing up in right handed dominate society, people do have the tendency to be fascinated, admire or hate you either way even if you are left or right handed. I guess, it really comes back down to people’s understanding and tolerance.So cheers to my fellow left handers.

12. MLK says:

I need help for my 6 years old son. He is left handed and has just started primary school.
    I need suggestions about orginazing his table and need some tips to help his writing skills.

13. Wu says:

Being proud of being a lefty is not good. I warn you all. Pride destroys my life with my love and relationship. To the point, left hand controls the right brain and emotion. I shouted at my boyfriend. I was easy to get angry. I destroy my love and relationship. Now I cry everynight and regret. I want to turn back the time and fix. God please give mercy. I want my love one back.

14. Mario says:

If someone was right handed, and willfully became left handed through practice, would this cause the same psychological problems that seem to plague those who were forced to switch their dominant hand? If anyone has done this, let me know if you experienced any of those symptoms… Thanks!!!

15. ian stephens says:

hi to everybody out there it’s right handed world ha ha and us lefty’s get some bad press myself i find this world hard place to live in being left handed but i have learnt to adapt to everyday life in my job and at home.Only one question i have got is i play guitar and when i started learning tried to play left handed switched the strings around but my brain couldn’t understand it so i learnt to play right handed.So if anybody out there can answer my question it would be helpful many thanks .

16. Julian says:

I’m left handed, I eat, write, paint, do daily activities lefty. However for all sports I play right dominant I don’t know why but I’d like to attribute it to the fact that all of my immediate family is right handed and growing up they always taught me sports as they knew it. Go lefties!

17. Elaine says:

I love being a leftie. That’s the way God intended. I have a twin (not identical) and she is also a leftie. I crochet left handed. I tried it right handed, but it didn’t work.

18. Alice* says:

Hello! Alice isn’t my real name, by the way. In our family, most of us are left-handed. Only my mom is not. My brother is left-handed, but he uses his right hand when writing. This is because my mom taught him to write with the right hand in kindergarten. My mom tried to teach me, but then she stopped because I was insistent in using my left hand. I don’t have a lot of problems regarding my handwriting, but I find it annoying when there are pen marks on my hand after writing, and I hate using spiral notebooks. There’s no left-handed stuff for sale at our place, so I can’t do anything about it. I don’t have a problem with seating arrangements. I can sit anywhere I like, even next to right-handed people at cafeterias. My right-handed seatmates, on the other hand, find it hard to adjust. But the problem is, when eating at home, I sit beside my brother, and he has huge arms. And even if he’s left-handed, we would occasionally fight over dinner then I would move a few inches away from him. Using utensils is easy for me. I have no problem with using a right-handed chair in class because I’m used to it. But using scissors and knives for paring has been a pain for me. I’m really bad at sewing and learning to crochet. At school, it was fun being a southpaw since most of my classmates are right-handed. I don’t get upset when they comment on me being a lefty and my even weirder way of holding a pen. I don’t hold a pen like most people, even my left-handed friends. But I’m not insecure about it because I have a neat penmanship. They would try to write using their left hand and I would get amused while watching them do it. I have studied in a Catholic school since kindergarten, but left-handers are not being maltreated in any way. But there was one time in 5th grade that we have to adapt to a style in holding a pen whether you’re right or left-handed, and I had a hard time adapting to it because of my unusual style in pen-holding. Fortunately, it didn’t last long. Then in high school, teachers and classmates would praise me because I was good in Math and English, and my friends would usually tell me I’m good at drawing. I was one of the youngest in our class, and there was only one other person aside from me who is a lefty. At the time we only had one left-handed chair in the room. We would always argue about it, but I would let him use it because I didn’t really need it. I have heard that right-handed people are good at scientific stuff, and left-handed people are artistically inclined. But I think I’m better at scientific thinking than creativity. We had an IQ test once and I scored a high rating. I love anything related to facts and logic. Yet I also like to daydream and imagine all sorts of things. I read that left-handed people are good at sports, but I’m not really good at any sports at all because I’m more inclined to indoor games like Scrabble. But when I participate in sports, I don’t find it hard to use right-handed equipment. I used to play badminton, but then I quit because a lump grew on my left arm. Until now, it’s still there and my left hand gets tired easily when doing or writing stuff. Left-handed people adjust more easily to seeing underwater? I usually close my eyes when swimming because I don’t like the thought of water getting into my eyes. I’m good at multitasking. I like doing things one at a time because I get stressed out when I’m not. I’m quite forgetful. My brother is better at playing video games than me. And I’m a slow typist. That’s all!

19. Stewart says:

Left handed since birth. But also left eyed, ( the other has never worked). So, left handed by nature… or left handed out of physical necessity?

20. Carol says:

I’m curious if left-handed people tend to favor their left side when sleeping, and also if when they slip or fall, they tend to fall on the left side.? When I was 8 years old, and already knew I was left handed I got my first bicycle without training wheels. I took off down the street, hit some dirt in a driveway and fell and broke my left arm! I still love bicycling despite that first experience. When my arm healed & the cast came off, ironically about 2 weeks after it was removed, I fell again on a slippery boat dock in our backyard, and again fell on my left side, this time cracking my left wrist! I learned my lesson and have not broken anymore bones during my life and I am now 58. Yet I still bruise my left side whenever I slip, most often when downhill skiing. Is this just me? And I also favor sleeping on my left side, although I toss & turn for a few hours before I get comfy. Thanks for any comments. Cjmellow(Carol)

21. jane says:

I love being a leftie. As far as I know, I am the only leftie in my family. My son is right handed, and I must say, I found it difficult when he was younger to help to teach him to write. Other than that I have adapted pretty well to the world geared in favour of the right hand. And I was lucky, no one ever tried to change me. I sometimes get strange reactions from people though when they realise I’m left handed, and that includes people apologising to me for me being a leftie….really!!!??? why apologise!!!??? I find that reaction, in particular, really hilarious…..

22. sheri says:

i would like to know if mirror writing has anything to do with being left handed

• Louise says:

Hi Sheri,
      It probably does. I am left-handed and some time ago, in moment of boredom, I started writing from right to left (aka mirror writing) in a reasonably legible way. Needless to say it freaked me out, in a panic I phoned a psychiatrist and explained what had happened, fully expecting to be told to make an appointment because I was, indeed, going crazy. Instead he asked me if I was left-handed, which threw me until he explained that our [left-handed] brains want to work from right to left and not to worry, it was a completely natural thing to do. What a relief!
      I am curious as to why you ask – can you right from right to left too?

23. Becky says:

hi im becky and im only young (15) but i find being a left handed person very challenging. in my school im not sure if anyone else understands but in P.E. when they explain/show how to do something i cant understand it because its the opposite of me. i also take art so the left handed scissors and the pen are very helpful and im the happiest person on earth because i found this website

thank you anythinglefthanded.co.uk πŸ˜€

#leftpower

• Debbi says:

My grandmother was the main support I got to “remain a south-paw”. She sat opposite from me, at age 5+ all thru her life,and had me copy her hand movements for crochet, sewing, embroidery, cooking,& so on… I understand your frustration about society not getting it. Winning a fight with my 3rd grade teacher on the position of my paper to learn cursive resulting in me not writing almost upside down. But being a select group, we get all equipment(golf clubs, scissors, etc) at a much higher cost.

24. Peter says:

Hello my fellow lefties.

Fun fact: In Kenya it’s disrespectful to give someone a gift with your left hand.

We may only be 10% but considering there are 7 some billion people on earth – there’s over 700 million of us πŸ˜‰

#leftpower

25. Eliza says:

I’m a righty, however I have brushed my teeth with my left hand for almost as long as I can remember (my logic as a 4-or-5-year-old was that the sink counter was too high for me to reach, so it was best for me to hold my cup of water with my steadier [right] hand), thus, I taught myself to brush my teeth left-handed, and ever since, I can no longer brush right handed. (Oddly, my dad thinks this is an amazing feat as he claims this is supposedly hard to do with your non-dominant hand.)

I also pour things with my left hand (the fridge door was on the right, freezer door on the left), so I would open the fridge with my right hand and grab the milk with my left, then precede to pour said milk with my left hand. I’m able to pour things right-handed, though I find this awkward.
    I’ve taught myself to write fairly legibly with my left hand, and I find it fun to write with my left hand.

When I clasp my hands together, my left thumb is on top.

I think I hold a tennis or badminton racket left-handed if I wanted to, because I did this a little when I was a kid and broke my right arm.

In phys-Ed, I would stand in Southpaw stance naturally, because it was kind of similar to how my dad taught me how to stand when throwing a baseball.

• Ron says:

Oh? It’s called “Cross-dominant”. It’s a special case that only certain persons have. It means you do some things on the left hand and on the right. I’m actually a leftie but I do almost everything in both hands.

26. Nabeal says:

my last comments make me think that there should be a survey..
    With Gods grace, I have been a stronger person then any other ordinary person, even as a kid. I don’t I was the strongest thought I was in my school, specially being very thin I use to beat all kids in arm wrestling. why I am talking about in childhood time coz at that time its more raw power as after growing up people workout and all.
    So may b lefties are physically stronger then righties.

So my question is how many lefties think they were/are among the stronger kids in the school compared to their body type?

27. Nabeal says:

Love being Left handed in the right handed world. There are some disadvantages but I guess we all have learnt while growing up and now its usual.
    What I love about being lefty is my right hand is similarly strong as my left, and when ever I use to beat my collage mates in arm wrestling, all I used to say was:
    “dude I am a lefty and still I beat u with my right.” haha..

28. CAROLYN DALY says:

WHY NOT DO A STUDY ON IDENTICAL TWINS. USUALLY ONE IS LEFT HANDED (ME) AND THE OTHER RIGHT HANDED SINCE THEY ARE MIRROR TWINS. I CAN USE EITHER HAND SINCE I WORKED AS A KID TO DO IT, EVEN USING RIGHT HANDED SISSORS WITH EITHER HAND. WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW HOW MANY OF THE OTHER LEFTY TWINS WORKED TO USE EITHER HAND. I WOULD WRITE WITH EITHER HAND ON BLACKBOARD AT SCHOOL. HARDER TO USE RIGHT HAND TO WRITE ON PAPER BUT CAN DO IT. I JUST FOUND IT AN INTERESTING CHALLENGE AS A KID. MY TWIN IS TOTALLY RIGHT HANDED AND NEVER WORKED TO USE EITHER HAND.

29. Betsy Priest says:

Being left-handed to me is an honor. I’m the only one from the maternal or paternal side in this generation to be left-handed. It’s amazing what the gene pool produces. My daughter is right-handed. Both my grandmothers sewed and did needlework and taught me the basics despite the difference in handedness. When I discovered I was good at sewing and needlework, I taught myself, using good old right handed equipment! A sewing machine is a right-handed piece of equipment, also. I just learned to load the bobbin and thread right-handed and went about my work. I used right-handed scissors and to this day cannot use leftie scissors! Irons were also right-handed, with the plug coming out of the iron in such a way that I had to turn the ironing board around with the wide end on my left and ironed backwards. A good friend (right-handed, of course), showed me the basics of cross stitch, hooking and needlepoint, and I taught myself from there. My biggest disappointment is not being able to learn to crochet. Both grandmothers did but passed before they could show me. I have had people sit in front of me to mimic left-handedness and how tried the tutorials on the web. What I make looks nothing like theirs! I love being left-handed and never let it stop me from doing whatever I want. My husband, however, does not like the way I put tissue paper on the roll. I don’t have any problems…………. he does!

30. AM says:

My boyfriend and I are both left handing. But we still live in a very right handed product house. lol. Live in a very small town 5 hrs away for any city center. Knives are a problem….buggers are slanted the wrong way so the knife always slips. I am the only lefty in my family, and I used to love to bake with my grandmother, but she would always take over my task like stirring because I “looked akward”. Apparently I also used to write from right to left. I have been running a chainsaw for years as well and my supervisor always says I look funny doing it. I approach everything from the opposite side. But I don’t write on paper like most lefties that curl their hands over or ‘write upside down’, I figured out a way to do it so i would stop getting ink all over my hand. Fun times. Sometimes I laugh about some of this stuff.